ShareThis

.

.

11 July 2006

250 Not Out

250 and still not out at Holyrood

JUST before my parliamentary colleagues and I bid farewell to the chamber to herald the start of the summer recess, I was able to fulfil a personal milestone: during the last debate of the session I made my 250th speech.

Now, as most people will know, the mathematician in me sometimes gets the better of me, and when it comes to keeping a tally of speeches made by me and other MSPs I do like to keep a record.

As it transpired, since my maiden speech back on June 14, 2001, when I spoke on the Common Fisheries Policy, I realised a few weeks ago that a landmark number of speeches was fast approaching.

I was glad that my first speech concentrated on the real and core interest to our community and nothing more typified this than the debate we had on the Common Fisheries Policy.

However my 250th speech, which was on International development and in particular Scotland’s relationship with Malawi, also highlighted the great strides that the Scottish Parliament has taken into maturing into an outward-looking Parliament.

I am glad to report that the Scottish Parliament is indeed reaching out to new levels of activity and entering the international stage.

The debate ended with all politicians agreeing that Scotland has an international duty to assist those countries that are less fortunate than us.

The debate also gave glimpses of many Scots’ dedication into helping not just people in Malawi, but people from all over the world.

It shows that Scotland is striving for its place so that our voices can be heard. However for our voice and actions to be truly heard in the world stage we need an independent seat at the table so that we can offer our own Scottish flavour of opinion.

This will only happen once we are free from Westminster and can remove their gag from Scotland’s mouth.

Summer recess

WELL it’s summer recess again and, given all the Press, one would think that MSPs now enjoy a relaxing time until Parliament resumes. However this couldn’t be further from the truth as I truly believe that at least 99% of MSPs will be hard at work in their constituencies over this period.

For me, summer recess gives me the opportunity to take time out to meet and talk to constituents at length over the issues of the day without the constant pull of Holyrood calling me back.

It is my belief that it is important for constituents to be able to meet their MSP in their own locality. Many constituents also appreciate the gesture and have indicated this to me in more than one occasion.

I believe this is where the real work takes place; this is where people get the chance to talk at length about the issues and problems that they face, and it also gives me a lot of work to take back to Parliament.

For those of you that are going on holidays may I wish you a safe and happy trip and for those of you that are visiting may I offer my most sincere welcome and I hope your stay is a pleasant one, which I’m sure it will be.


Stewart Stevenson
does not gather, use or
retain any cookie data.

However Google who publish for us, may do.
fios ZS is a name registered in Scotland for Stewart Stevenson
www.blogger.com www.ourblogtemplates.com


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP