ShareThis

.

.

21 December 2001

It’s Panto Season!

I’ve been to the pantomime. And that doesn’t mean Parliament, although I must confess that just occasionally…

No! It was Fraserburgh Junior Arts panto. Now, as an MSP I am of course supposed behave responsibly and set an example. Or so my Chief Whip in Parliament, Kay Ulrich MSP, has told me. But I must confess to being transported back to a more irresponsible age when I accepted the invitation to sit in on the dress rehearsal for Sleeping Beauty.

Sitting on the back row of the Dalrymple Arts Centre with three other ‘sober suits’, Councillors every one, we were soon joining in the fun and shouting all these silly things that are compulsory at a panto.

Isn’t it always better to experience rather than read about what’s going on in our community? And this was.

So I’ve now seen the talent which I hope will be delivering another cracker in 2002, the 50th year of the Junior Arts panto.

Well done, and thanks for inviting me!

Rural Concerns

For one reason or another, country issues have been much in the press and on TV. And some people are very dissatisfied with Parliament’s response to rural problems.

But in reality, our Rural Development Committee has many people of all political parties who care deeply. So we have decided that as part of our investigations into making the countryside a better place to live and work in, we’re going to go on our travels. And that doesn’t mean using our passports. It means getting out into our country.

So my colleague Richard Lochhead MSP and I have suggested Huntly as a reasonably central point to cover NorthEast rural areas. We’re optimistic that we’ll be there early in the new year.

But will it make a difference? Yes, if we let it. And that means local people taking an interest and turning up to give evidence and to listen. Parliament mustn’t just be about what happens in Edinburgh and this is our chance. If this actually happens do come along.

And if you can’t, then don’t forget that Parliament itself will be coming to Aberdeen in the last week of May 2002.

Land Reform

Over the next months there will a lot of debate about the Land Reform Bill. My special interest will be on the “Access Rights” part while my colleague Duncan Hamilton MSP will be focussing on “Right to Buy”.

With the people of Eigg, Knoydart and, most recently, the Isle of Gigha all buying the area in which the live, there’s quite an awareness of the Bill.

But for our area it’s probably the walkers, riders and cyclists who may be most affected by it.

Mostly it’s good for them. It puts into law what we’ve regarded as our traditional rights to walk on land without fear of being prosecuted for trespass. Indeed, like many, I had thought that there was no law of trespass in Scotland, but there is. And the Bill also specifically permits powered wheelchair users to have access.

So far, so good. But a little wrinkle might just cause problems. The Bill states that it’s not giving rights to people for commercial activities. And I’m worried that might have some drastic effects.

For example if a group of disabled people are going into the country and they have a paid worker from a private company to help them, that seems to be commercial activity.

So if we’re not careful we could make things worse for people in our society that we all agree we want to help. But with a fair wind we should be able to deal with that one and ensure continued free access for people who are prepared to act responsibly.

Christmas

Throughout our area the Christmas lights are up. The excitement is obvious wherever I’ve gone recently. But down in Edinburgh as I write this it seems much more sober.

Yes there are streetlights, although once one leaves the main shopping streets, they’re little better than our much smaller towns and villages. Yes, the shops are pushing Christmas hard. But in Parliament it’s almost invisible. Yes, the Parliament’s shop stayed open on our last night before recess, but that’s it.

So whatever problems we might have, we sure know how to celebrate up here. My Chief Whip at Home, Sandra, has given me list of my duties for next two weeks.

Be sure to enjoy New Year just as I hope you did at Christmas. I plan to!

Stewart Stevenson
does not gather, use or
retain any cookie data.

However Google who publish for us, may do.
fios ZS is a name registered in Scotland for Stewart Stevenson
www.blogger.com www.ourblogtemplates.com


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP