ShareThis

.

.

24 December 2019

‘Peace on earth and goodwill to all’

I have always been a bit of a Christmas sceptic if truth be told.

I’ve not quite bought into the consumerism, the Santa hats and controversial it may be I don’t even rate a turkey Christmas dinner…

However, if I was in the habit of writing my letter to Santa it would go something like the following: This year I would like an NHS Protection Bill because our health service is the backbone of our society and I want to stop the threat of a Tory-Trump trade deal.

I’d like a Parental Leave Expansion Bill because I believe an additional 12 weeks should be ring-fenced for the father in order to encourage take-up as well as increases in statutory maternity and paternity pay.

I’d also want to see the introduction of an equal living wage to increase the national minimum wage to at least the level of the real Living wage, and to end age discrimination in the legal minimum wage.

I wouldn’t just be asking for new things though, I’d like to see reform with the two-child cap on tax credits and rape clause scrapped from our culture. I’d like to see an end to the benefits freeze and halt the flawed rollout of Universal Credit.

While I jest about Santa, there is a very serious point that I am trying to make about the country we will have next Christmas and for Christmases to come.

As I reflect on the past year I look forward to 2020 encouraged by the work the SNP are doing nationally and proud of what we stand for. We are calling on a boost to the economy, the protection of our public services, tackling poverty, delivering real action on climate change, and respecting Scotland's right to choose our own future.

This stands in stark contrast to the UK Government who wish to "take a wrecking ball" to public services, living standards, and the economy.

I might not believe in Santa, but I’m proud to believe in a party that wants the very best for the North-east. It has been my privilege to serve as your MSP for Banffshire and Buchan Coast this year.

The message of Christmas I do support is one of hope and that is the special part of Christmas time that I am keen to focus on regardless of political parties.

‘Peace on earth and goodwill to all’ has never gone out of date, unlike cheesy Christmas hits, and it feels particularly important this Christmas time.

So may I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas and my best wishes for the New Year. I look forward to continuing to work hard as your voice in parliament over 2020.

Stewart Stevenson
does not gather, use or
retain any cookie data.

However Google who publish for us, may do.
fios ZS is a name registered in Scotland for Stewart Stevenson
www.blogger.com www.ourblogtemplates.com


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP